The $52.6 billion plan to save NYC area from coastal storms

The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers believes it will take around $52.6 billion to protect the New York City area from coastal storms. The funding for this plan will need approval from the U.S. Congress. While 65% of the funding will come from federal sources, the remaining 35% will come from nonfederal sponsors.

This plan to save the NYC region, known as 3B, includes the following:

  • Constructing breakwaters and seawalls
  • Building levees and floodwalls
  • Changes to the coastline but at the same time allowing residents access to waterfront activity

To read more, visit here.